Nov 5, 2007

More Library Issues

Thanks for your comments guys, even though I like everyone to always agree with me(joking) I appreciate your feedback.

One problem with this method of walking around is it sounds great in theory but very difficult to put into practise. Do I stand near the self check out to help patrons or do I walk around. I cant be in two places at once. Patrons would have to run around looking for me while I'm walking around chatting to everyone. If I was at the desk they know where I am and what I'm there for (for them!).

I understand what you guys have in mind but it isn't feeling right at the moment, there's something that just isn't working.(Maybe it's just me)

I don't think libraries should work as a business, we are not sales assistants trying to flog a product and that is what it's feeling like at the moment. One thing I would love done is to survey the public and see what they think of this.

Remember Web 4.0 back to the good old library where people go to get away from all this impersonal technology.

PS Yes Harriet the Bank analogy is appropriate. Who likes banks? The worst image problem ever!

1 comment:

Christian West said...

You'd be easy to spot if everyone wore a bright uniform :P Maybe a bright orange safety vest and a 10 gallon cowboy hat (in hot pink) with 'Ask me!' written on it.

And we are a business, we're trying to flog the idea of free information for everyone, it's what we do. We're here to inform and educate...like schools but with less rules.

And I agree with surveying the public, and surveys have been done. Every place is different though, the public of Toorak would be very different to the public of Dandenong.

C