Nov 3, 2007

Some thoughts on Technology and maybe a little controversy!

Now I have been thinking a lot about technology in Libraries and in particular Public Libraries. First of all I would like to say I do like technology and I believe it has a place in public libraries. With all the new stuff out there I think libraries should have all we can get. That said I have been reading others blogs and I have thought about the impact this technology can have on libraries. Good and Bad.

Good - If public libraries can stay updated with new techno stuff then the public will know we are a place to go to for help and guidance. We can be the place to be!

Bad/not so good - I think as someone said (cant remember who) that just because the technology is there doesn't mean we should use it. I agree with this. I work in a public library that has more computers than books (it is a library that is focusing on technology) now I was really excited to be a part of this new library. I think its a great place and we have had very positive feed back from the public.We also have self checkout machines.

Now my worry is if public libraries are supposed to be community meeting places(with that personal touch) how do we balance the two, that being technology which is impersonal (you can't deny that), and staff who are supposed to be serving the community(with self checkouts they do this themselves)Now I know staff are still there to help the public but if we are not doing the basics by checking their books out and in the process getting to know them and having a little chat then can this be considered community serving.

I have been finding lately that I am not interacting as much with the public as I did which is sad as this is the part of the job I love (I'm a library officer). The patrons are becoming self sufficient which is great but I feel we are losing the personal touch. Sure we can offer services but haven't libraries always been more than that. I hope we do not go too far with this technology and lose the best part of libraries, the community feel. We are about people and serving and that should always be our aim. Technology is great but it should not replace the interaction the staff and public have with each other. Just because everything is becoming automated doesn't mean we need to nessecerily do the same. Society is becoming very impersonal as it is with this automated stuff do we really need to follow and become another impersonal place where you go and do your stuff and then leave without much interaction.

An example of this is with our regulars. Now I enjoy seeing them and serving them and having a chat but now I have been just passing through as I practically wave a greating as they check out their books.

Libraries have always had their unique character which people have always relied on. I hope we can continue to move forward but still retain our unique flavour. I myself have gotten a little caught up in this technology and thought we needed to keep up but now I am wondering if this is really needed. I never for one moment thought I would feel this way, as I said I like technology. But seeing people come and go from the library without a hello or goodbye is sad and strange. Maybe I'm just feeling lonely myself and miss the interaction even with the cheeky ones who were very challenging!(yes this was a big surprise but they made the day very interesting!). But this is why I wanted to work in libraries, for the personal touch we could give.

Oh well enough rambling from me, for now anyway!

I would love others to blog about their views it would be very intersting to read.

PS And no I haven't been drinking, maybe I should!

PSS Ive just realised something else. Now when I am serving people it is usually when there is a problem. Will the public then associate staff/problems in their minds in a negative way, as in oh no I have to see a staff member theres a problem again! What do you think?

6 comments:

Harriet Cracknell said...

Dear Zoya,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It would be like walking into a bank to use an ATM machine. Does anyone actually ENJOY going to a bank? No. I kapish baby! No community-friendly vibe about a bank. For some people, sadly, Libraries are the only point of social contact they have. Get chatting to your patrons again and hold up the express lane.
H

Christian West said...

Just for an opposing viewpoint, freeing up having to check out books gives more time for staff to go 'out' amongst the patrons. Instead of waiting for them to come to you, travel over to them and offer your help (or just say hi). Instead of having the single place to chat (the loans desk), library staff could be off talking to people all over the library.
C

Yarra Plenty Library Regional Library said...

I have to agree with Christian's view. Seld checks allows satff more time to go into the library and engage in more community activity with patrons. The library is certainly becoming more of a community hub..but it is the whole library, not just at the circ desk. You may have borrowers who never borrowm but just come intot he library to read. Her's you chance to get to know them better.
You comments are certainly food for thought and will have to be addressed in more libraries as new technologies are introduced.
Keep up the goos work

Lynette

Laura said...

I agree with you Zoya and Harriet.
The first thing we learned during our first impression training is to establish a good rapport, feedback, relationship with the patron, right?
Is this selfcheck push/wanderer staff change helping our contact with the patron or pushing them away from us?
Now we are introducing 2 new elements:
1) a piece of equipment (no need to describe it: cold, impersonal, etc)which replaces us completely for issuing.
2) an active approach towards the patron, just not face to face, we could say a frontal body to body because there's no service desk between us. This is intimidating in many cases. Not many people like to be frontally approached. If you board a train with many empty seats. Don't you prefer an empty seat beside you? or you deliberately sit next to someone?.
Don't you feel this changes make us a bit like an "IKEA" library where you just simple take your items to the check out and look around for help?
But, as you said later on Zoya, if you don't try you'll never know. Don't rush into conclusion, let's wait an see. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!

astrok said...

Its about finding a balance,
the older patrons may want more help a chat,
the younger more tech savvy are more into chatting online not at the counter
But I found in the days when I was actively moving from info desk to shelving a little fiction to tidying and picking up, patrons would approach me rather than walk all the way to the desk and ask for help.
Now that I am more desk based I do answer a lot of queries but I fear those patrons that wont come to the desk may be missing out.
I quite like the idea of staff roaming a little but they need to be actively monitoring where they are needed most and float to that area.
Astrok

Zoya said...

Great idea. Monitering the areas that are used most for information, non-fiction etc.