Oct 15, 2007

#12 Rollyo

I've managed to create a searchroll using Rollyo. My subject is technology. It wasn't too hard setting up. Still it takes my brain a while to process these new technologies. I guess it is good to have actually its excellent since you can choose your own sites to search what you need. This would take a lot of the crap away when searching the internet. It is useful for library sites because the easier you can make searching for the public the better. This would take away the not so good sites for people when searching for authentic information.

Since I've started this course I have realised the need to keep up to date with the latest tech news hence my tech. subject on Rollyo. It is not a good idea to be working in libraries and not know at least the basics of whats out there and especially what the younger kids are doing and using. I dont think its good enough to say "Oh well the younger generation have grown up with this stuff. Its easy for them" As library workers we should be keeping up with these things even if we don't use it. We can't let the kids think we're old and ancient. We need to keep up with the times and change the view of libraries and especially library workers as being just about boring old books (even though I love Books!)

Imagine how much more younger kids (especially teenagers) would use our services if they new they could come into a library for techno. help instead of just to do their boring old homework. Librarians can become cool!

And yes I do like to see teenagers coming in to the library even if its just to play and make a lot of noise. I like noise.

Anyway this Rollyo is beneficial I just wish someone else would do the work of setting it up for me. Thats what Librarians should be doing for the public cause people like myself are too lazy to do it. I'll only do it when I have to. Library thing, Rollyo etc. should be all in one place (such as the library catalogue) where you just click on which ever search you need. Most of the public do not think too hard and will only use whats in front of them. (Im talking about myself of course)

So enough blabbling from me for now.

Cheers

Zoya

2 comments:

Harriet Cracknell said...

Dear Zoya,
it is my firm belief that Librarians ARE cool. Don't be so down on yourself.

Harriet

Yarra Plenty Library Regional Library said...

I agree with your comments, especially about changing the view of libraries and keeping up with technology.
Keep up te good work

Lynette