Oct 24, 2007

#16 Wikis

I think wikis are ok I just wouldn't encourage anyone to use it such as kids. you really need to be careful and check who is behind it. I suppose it is policed by other users so it can be okay but as a source of information I would want to double check in a more reliable source. It just doesn't seem right to get information from a place that is so open to mistakes. That said I have read wiki entries lately when googling and because there are so many wiki entries it is hard not to go there.

In one sense it sounds pretty good to have anyone that is able to make entries. This way you can get information from many sources. Its funny because when I first heard about it it sounded ridiculous but now that I am getting used to the idea it is sounding better. I just can't believe people can be bothered making entries as a lot of the information is so in depth. I guess for professonals it is helping others. As for libraries I like the idea of something like adding books and anyone being able to make a comment, and for other information where the public can get involved.

So now I'll try Sandbox wiki, whatever that is!

No comments: